Sunday 23 September 2012

Sentences Starters for various occasions


Situational Dialogues

prepared by:B. Balaji Reddy, Asso.Prof., SVPCET, PUTTUR 
E-mail: balajireddyb@hotmail.com 
 
Most educated people can write very well, but are unable to speak good English. It is because they do not have the opportunity to practice speaking the language. We very often find educated men and women, who can write reasonably correct English, fumbling for words when they attempt to talk to someone in English. They tend to use wrong or inappropriate expressions; It is essential that we learn and use the expressions appropriate to each situation.

They only way to learn Spoken English is to speak English. The practice dialogues given in this material are meant to be spoken and not just read.

Since you are learning to speak English, how you speak the language is very important. Speaking involves a lot more than producing the sounds of words. Your expressions, your gestures and your tone + your pronunciation convey a lot of meaning that mere words cannot convey. The practice dialogues given in this material will give the reader an idea of how to use the expressions in different context.
Finally, remember you are not learning to read. So, look up and speak what you are reading.

Situational Dialogues for Various occasions

Greeting:
Hello, How are you?  
Hello Tom, Nice to see you again
Good to see you again
How do you do?
Very nice to see you again
How are things with you?
How is life?
I trust you’re keeping well
I hope all goes well with you
I am so glad to see you again after a long time
Hey, Rahul where have you been all these days? (Informal)

Introducing oneself:
Good morning. I am Rahul from Tirupati
Excuse me. My name is Rahul
Let me introduce myself….

Introducing others:
This is Mr/Miss…
Do you know……?
Have you met….?
Please meet Mr….
I’m sure you would like to meet…..
Let me introduce you all Prof. Balaji Reddy
May I introduce…..?

Inviting someone:
Would you like to……..
I would like you to…….
I would like to invite you to…….
Would you be interested in……
We should be very pleased if you could…….
We should be grateful if you could be our Chief guest
Would you mind joining us on the occasion?

Making requests:
Can/Could you please your pen for a minute?
Can you do me a small favour?
Please do me a favour by…..
Do you think it would be possible…..?
I am sorry to trouble you, but……
I hope you don’t mind my asking, but…..
Could I have your pen for a moment please?

Offering help:
Can I assist you?
Would you like some help?
Would you like me to help you?
May I help you?
May I be of assistance?
What can I do for you?
Is there anything I can do?

Asking for advice:
Would you advise me to……?
Can you advise me about…….?
I would appreciate your advice
What would you advise me to do?
What would your advice be?
Could I ask for your advice on……?
What would you do if you were me in my position?

Expressing gratitude:
Thank you/Thanks/Thanks a lot/Thank you very much
I am really grateful to you for your timely help
It was kind of you to help me
A million thanks
That is very kind of you sir
I am really very grateful to you madam
I can’t express how grateful I am to you

Expressing sympathy:
I am sorry/ I am sorry to learn that…….
It’s really upsetting
You must be terribly upset
I know how you feel
Please accept my/our condolences
Hard luck. But don’t lose heart
You must be really upset about it. Please don’t worry about……

Complaining:
I am sorry to say, but…….
I am afraid I have got a complaint about…..
I am afraid I have got something to tell…
I am sorry to bring this up, but…..
I am sorry I have got a complaint to make…….

Apologizing:
I am sorry/ I am very sorry/ I am terribly sorry for……
I am sorry, that was entirely my fault
I feel bad about……
Please accept my apologies for……
Please forgive me for……
I am extremely sorry for…..
I can’t tell you how much sorry I am
Leaving someone for a short time:
Excuse me/ Excuse me for a moment
Excuse me, I’ll be back in a moment
Hold on/ hang on for a moment
Will you excuse me a moment, please?
Would you mind my leaving you for a moment?

Ending a conversation:
I am afraid I must go now
I hope you don’t mind my leaving
Excuse me. I have to catch a train, so I am leaving
I must leave now, sorry
It’s getting late, I have to leave now
See you later/tomorrow/next Sunday o.k.

Asking for someone’s opinion:
What do you think/feel about…….?
What is your opinion/reaction?
What is your view/opinion about….?
What are your feelings/ideas about……?
Have you got any comments on…….?

Asking someone to say something again:
Pardon/I am sorry
I am sorry I didn’t catch/hear…..
I am sorry, what did you say
Could you repeat what you said?
I beg your pardon
Sorry, what did you say?

Asking whether someone knows:
Excuse me. Do you know……?
Did you know……?
Did you hear about…….?
Have you heard about……..?
Are you aware of…….?
Can you help me? Do you happen to know anything about….?
Could you give me any information about……?
Do you know anything about that?

Giving advice or suggestions:
You had better go by auto
You had better consult a doctor
You had better start at one
You’d better hurry up

Polite requests:
Do you mind waiting for ten minutes?
Do you mind moving a little?
Do you mind switching on a fan?
Do you mind coming again tomorrow?
Do you mind if I sit here?

Points related to journey/trip etc:
Have a comfortable flight and a nice trip
Have a comfortable journey
Happy journey
Have an enjoyable trip
Have a good time. Enjoy yourself
Have a wonderful dharshan of Lord Balaji

Asking if someone agrees:
Is that all right with you/o.k. with you?
Do you agree?
I hope you will agree with me
You would agree with………. wouldn’t you?
Would you agree with………..?

Note: Read these points as many times as possible every day. Then try use them in day to day conversations with all. I wish you all the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment